The S Word.
Posted by Nicola Elliott, Jun 07, 2021
Wow where do I start? I wasn’t born calm. I’m a full on ball of energy, super busy, candle burning at both ends kind of girl. It’s got me into big trouble!
I’ve suffered with crippling anxiety at several times in my life, even now I see it as something I have to manage daily, never something I’m totally over. It seems I’m not alone.
When we conducted a poll in 2015 9/10 of said they were stressed, to a level that is uncomfortable and when we conducted another poll during the COVID-19 pandemic over half of NEOM’s customers were feeling more anxious, 42% were not sleeping as well, and 39% were feeling flat and lacking energy – all classic signs of stress. That applied to all ages, all jobs, all demographics. Scary isn’t it?
But one thing I know. If you are not a naturally calm person, then you have to try and learn to create calm. I see this as my ‘calm toolkit’. My general wellbeing - good sleep, enough energy and my mood all contribute and that needs to be a priority at all times, but it’s nice to think I have some tools I can call upon when the dreaded stress levels rise to a not-okay level. So here’s my toolkit...
1. Fresh air - replenishes your cells with oxygen and releases endorphins. A walk is good, a run for me is even better, even if it’s short.
2. Unplug - it’s not the device itself as much as that ‘always on’ feeling it creates. Ping! Oh is that my boss? Ping! What’s the matter now? Ping! They might need me immediately….you get the gist it’s just a relentless ‘turned on’ feeling that just needs turning OFF for a few hours.
3. 7/11 breathe and reboot technique. If I feel my anxiety rising this is a lifesaver (you can do it anytime, anywhere), it lowers my blood pressure and brings me back into the moment. I carry a Calming Hand Cream, massage in and cup my hands over my nose and mouth and breathe in for 7 seconds and out for 11 seconds. The 24 essential oils working with the breath technique really help me create calm if I am feeling anxious whilst I am out.
5. Baths - in 10 mins I can create a calm zone in my bathroom and I honestly emerge feeling like I’ve done a personal reboot. I use the Real Luxury Candle and Bath Foam as a minimum, the oils get to work fast. Followed by the incredible de-stressing Real Luxury Magnesium Body Butter (magnesium works a treat for stress) and a good book with my Pod pumping out Ylang Ylang, Vertivert & Tonka Bean Essential Oil for an intensely relaxing boost.
6. Caffeine & alcohol ban - stressy periods call for a complete ban, the rest of the time in moderation or feel the fallout...simple as that for me.
So that’s my kit. It’s kind of comforting knowing I have these tools, have a go at creating yours and don’t forget to share your tips with us over on Instagram @neomorganics.