Refreshing Ginger Tea with Melissa Hemsley
Posted by PR Neom, Jun 14, 2021
Gently spiced and delicious hot or chilled.
Makes 2 jugs worth (you can get 2 rounds out of this!)
- 1 Handful of ginger root, about 30g
- 1 Lemon or 1 or 2 limes or an orange
- Spices - 1 cinnamon stick (or 1 tsp ground cinnamon), 1 star anise, 2 cloves, 1 tsp ground turmeric, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 600ml Hot water
Optional - a big handful of fresh mint leaves
Optional - 2 tbsp of raw honey or quality maple syrup, sweeten to taste
We’re all aware of just how good lemon and ginger is, but a lemon and ginger tea becomes even more powerful with the addition of bright yellow turmeric (careful it stains!) and spicy red cayenne. Turmeric is detoxifying, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial (good for viral and bacterial infections).
Blend these super spices together and steep in hot water for an easy pep-up and immune-boosting remedy. Enjoy as a cleansing caffeine-free brew to get you revved up in the morning or sip away on this tea after a meal. This is our daily fix to keep ourselves tip-top – we drink it double strength.
Take a little pot of this tea blend to work and just add hot water, or carry the brew in a stainless steel thermos.
1. Fill a medium - large saucepan with boiling water and add all the spices - as many as you’ve got but don’t worry if you haven’t got them all.
2. Slice the ginger (peeling it first if it’s not organic), don’t worry about finely slicing it then add to the saucepan, pop the lid on and let strongly simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. After 20 minutes, drain the liquid into a (heat proof) jug or a big tea pot using a strainer. You can pop all the ginger and spices back into the saucepan, fill up again with boiling water and repeat! Waste not, Want not!
4. Into the jug, you can stir in the honey or maple syrup and squeeze half the lemon or lime and then slice the remaining half.
5. Add the fresh mint and then chill and top with ice cubes. If you’re enjoying this hot then enjoy straight away. Hope you love it!